I will admit, this recipe is hard! It took me a few tries to get it right. But don't get discouraged...it is totally worth the effort. So just keep plugging along. You will be glad you did.
Because it is so complicated, I have included a LOT of photos. The trick is to achieve the perfect color and consistency of the toffee. A nice brown paper sack color. If you pull your toffee off the burner too soon, your toffee will to chewy and funky. If you keep it on the burner too long, you will scorch the toffee. So follow my instructions. Maybe even give it a few tries (like I had to).
HINT: Don't use a plastic spoon like I did in these pictures! It completely melted away by the middle of making this batch of toffee. You will notice half way through that I switched to a wooden spoon!
Ingredients:
1 C. sugar
1/2 lb real butter
1/4 C. water
sliced almonds
milk chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Spread out sliced almonds on bottom of cookie sheet. (Use as many or as little as you want.)
2. Combine butter and sugar.
3. Add water and melt together on High heat.
4. Now this is where it gets tricky...so pay attention! Let it boil on High heat.
Continue boiling.....the bubbles will get bigger and the butter will look more elastic.
Now the butter begins changing color and beautiful swirls will form.
It's still getting darker, and you will want to stir faster so the butter won't burn. Notice my blurred spoon. I didn't even want to stop stirring to take this picture!
After about 10 mins, you will have a beautiful, dark toffee resembling the color of a brown paper sack. This toffee is scorching hot, so don't be tempted to lick the spoon (I may or may not have done that my first time making this recipe).
5. Pour over sliced almonds and spread evenly with a wooden spoon. Mistake #2 for me was using a slotted wooden spoon. I quickly changed to a non-slotted wooden spoon after the toffee started oozing up the middle of this spoon.
6. Spread MILK chocolate chips over top. Let them melt a minute or two and then smooth out.
7. Cool in fridge for at least an hour, and then break up into bite size pieces by driving in the tip of a butter knife.
I am the worst at getting a final product picture! After I broke this toffee up into pieces, I quickly devoured a bunch and then farmed out the rest to friends and neighbors. But let me just tell you...it was spectacular!
Comments