Spätzle (german dumplings)

3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 eggs
1 C. milk

Directions:
1. Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg.


2. In separate bowl, whip eggs together and add milk.


3. Pour liquid in thin stream into flour mixture, stirring constantly until mixed.



4. Boil water and salt. Stream Spätzle dough into strainer (this is obviously a special Spätzle strainer or it can be called a noodle grater.  They can be purchased on Amazon) and let dough drip into water.
  

 
Continue until all the dough has been strained into the boiling water. 

5. Cook 5-8 minutes until tender and then remove from boiling water. 


6. Serve with brown gravy and cut up bites of meat, or with Hungarian Chicken which is our favorite way to enjoy these delicious noodles.

Comments

MsKree8 said…
Hello, followed you from A Spicy Perspective blog. I've had spatzle but never realized it is the same as the Hungarian dumplings I grew up with. I think the dumplings were softer. I'm going to try your recipe!
Libby said…
MsKree8, I hope you like the recipe. This is my families recipe from when I was a child. My dad lived in German for a time and loves all things German. I was thinking, when I was a child, my parents always fried the Spatzle noodles in butter in a frying pan after they were done cooking. That might be why you recall them being crispier than Hungarian dumplings. When we use the Spatzle for our Hungarian recipes, we don't fry them. We keep them soft. Hope that helps!