This is an old recipe I grew up on. I even recall requesting it a few times for my birthday dinner as a child. Now that I am adult, I can see that it is poor man's food! Nothing to be ashamed of. We all have our back up dinners that we revert to when we are in desperate need to grocery shop, or our wallets are a little tight! So here's another recipe you can add to your poor man's list of back up dinners.
It all starts with a Polska Kielbasa. This can be bought at Walmart or any other grocery store-by the hot dogs! I used to cut it in half and freeze them in two pieces because my family wasn't large enough to eat a whole Kielbasa in one meal. But now that we have four little ones, we can devour the whole thing in one sitting!
Next is the Au Gratin potatoes. One box is good for half a Kielbasa. If you are using the whole Kielbasa like us, you will want to get two boxes! I always get two boxes anyways because if you are buying a whole Kielbasa and freezing half of it, you will want a second box for the next time you make the dinner again.
How to:
1. Slice up the Kielbasa-if you have little ones as I do, you may want to cut the slices in half as well! To make them easier for the kiddos to eat.
2. Prepare the potatoes according to the instructions on the box. Add the slices of Kielbasa to the potatoes before you put them in the oven.
3. Cook according to the box directions! That is it!
I think you can buy 1 Kielbasa and 2 boxes of potatoes for around $5.00! That is an extremely cheap meal. And if your family is small, that would be for two meals!!!
So there you go. A quick, cheap, yet delicious meal! Enjoy.
It all starts with a Polska Kielbasa. This can be bought at Walmart or any other grocery store-by the hot dogs! I used to cut it in half and freeze them in two pieces because my family wasn't large enough to eat a whole Kielbasa in one meal. But now that we have four little ones, we can devour the whole thing in one sitting!
Next is the Au Gratin potatoes. One box is good for half a Kielbasa. If you are using the whole Kielbasa like us, you will want to get two boxes! I always get two boxes anyways because if you are buying a whole Kielbasa and freezing half of it, you will want a second box for the next time you make the dinner again.How to:
1. Slice up the Kielbasa-if you have little ones as I do, you may want to cut the slices in half as well! To make them easier for the kiddos to eat.
2. Prepare the potatoes according to the instructions on the box. Add the slices of Kielbasa to the potatoes before you put them in the oven.
3. Cook according to the box directions! That is it!
I think you can buy 1 Kielbasa and 2 boxes of potatoes for around $5.00! That is an extremely cheap meal. And if your family is small, that would be for two meals!!!
So there you go. A quick, cheap, yet delicious meal! Enjoy.
Comments